Wednesday, January 6, 2010

for Thursday 1/7/10 ... Robert B.

I can think a time when I felt sure about something but failed. For the trial of Socrates I felt confident in what I had. The only rule for the speech was that we had to make it a bare minimum of three minutes long. Sarah, Arron, Sam, David and I all worked hard on gathering information for the speech. We all had a lot of good information when we started. I worked on my speech over the weekend and timed a little over three minutes. I also trusted that Sam, Arron, David, and Sarah had met the requirements as well. However, on the day that we were going to give our speeches I guess you could say that disaster struck. When David, Sam, Sarah, Arron, and I were outside practicing our speeches only Sarah and Arron met the three minute requirement. I remember me starting to panic when I heard that my speech was only two minutes and twenty seconds long. Sam, David, and I (or at least Sam and I) couldn't figure out how to make our speeches meet the requirements. … When I was in the trial of Socrates I gave my speech knowing that it wasn't going to meet the requirements. When Sam, Sarah, David, Arron and I finished our speeches we heard the opposing teams speeches. After the opposing team was done I think that all of my group thought that we had a chance at winning. The day after that we heard what everyones votes were and we ended up winning the trial. We were one vote away from execution but all agreed that he should be exalted from Athens. Even our humanities teacher voted for Sarah, David, Sam, Arron, and I. But I will never forget how our group won and we didn't even really meet the one requirement.

1 comment: